The Training section of your console is where you can enroll users in training and policy acknowledgment campaigns, create or edit training notification templates, and view reports on user activity and progress within the training environment.
The ModStore is the central hub for all of your training content needs. You can search for content, save your favorites to the Library, upload your own content, and customize brandable content all in one place.
As part of your security awareness training plan and before you set up training campaigns, you'll want to decide how to set up your Learner Experience (LX). For example, if you want to use KnowBe4's optional gamification (including badges and leaderboards) you'll need to enable these features in your Account Settings area. You can brand your LX with a custom color and add a company logo in your Account Settings to provide a familiar feeling to your end users when they log in for training.
Read this article, or watch our training-related videos on our Tutorial Videos page, to learn about the various functions of the Training area.
Our platform uses a training campaign system to help you manage your organization's security awareness (or other) training, as well as policy distribution and acknowledgment tracking. You can use campaigns to automatically enroll your users in training assignments and/or mandatory policy acknowledgments. You'll be able to set up automatic reminder notifications to ensure users complete the assigned content before the deadline. These notifications are fully customizable. See our Customizing Training Notifications article for more information.
The Campaigns tab is where you can view, edit, or create training campaigns. Here, you will see your current and past training campaigns, their status, and progress at a glance. Use the Active, Inactive, and All tabs to choose which campaigns you would like to see.
Training Campaigns Screen
Clicking the +Create Training Campaign button in the upper right-hand corner will take you to the campaign creation screen:
Click on a header below for more information on each option. Once you are happy with the campaign settings, click Create Campaign at the bottom of the page.
Enrolled users will be able to see the title of your training campaign on their training page and also in system notifications (such as the welcome email or reminder notifications).
Set your campaign's start time here. You can set it to start in the future if you wish. This is helpful if you want to set up a campaign in advance.
The time zone will default to your account-specific time zone, which you can change in your Account Settings. If needed, you can select a specific time zone for the campaign.
You have three options for your campaign's end date:
- Specific Date - This will be a hard deadline for your users to complete the assigned training, or acknowledge the assigned policy, no matter when they are enrolled.
- Relative Duration - We recommend using this option for most training campaigns, as it will give a deadline based on when users are enrolled. You'll have the (optional) ability to send out automated reminder notifications based on the specified duration.
- No End Date - This setting is perfect for additional, optional training you'd like to provide users, so they can take training on their own schedule without an urgent deadline. This will leave the training campaign open indefinitely. Later on, you can alter the end date or close the campaign if needed. We recommend having a deadline, as it gives users an incentive to complete their assignments.
If you've specified an end date, that date is used by the Remind Before Due Date notification type (see below) to determine when to remind a user who has not completed their training. If you change the specific end date after a campaign starts, it will cause the campaign to send additional reminders. For example, if you are on the last day of the campaign and extend the end date by another two weeks, it can result in another set of reminder emails being sent out before the new end date. This is the intended behavior.
The console offers several options for allowing users to complete training when they've missed their deadline, learn more here.
Content: This drop-down is where you'll select the assignments that your users will be enrolled in as part of this campaign. Choose the modules or games you'd like users to complete and/or what policies you'd like them to acknowledge. Remember, ModStore items must be added to your Library before you can use them in training campaigns.
- In this drop-down menu, you can sort content by Title, Duration, and Published date.
- After selecting what you'd like to enroll users in, you can optionally prioritize this content by dragging and dropping them in the order you'd like users to see when they log in for training.
- Retired modules will not show up in your Content drop-down by default. If you'd like to use training content that is retired or nearing retirement, select the Include Retired Courses checkbox in the Content drop-down menu.
- You cannot add additional training content or policies to a campaign once the campaign starts, so ensure that you've included all the necessary content before saving.
If Enable Content Survey checkbox is selected, your users will be prompted to take a survey after they complete each training assignment. Enabling surveys helps you keep in touch with your users to see if your training strategy is effective. See this article for more details.
The Enroll Groups drop-down lets you choose whether you'd like to limit the scope of this campaign to specific groups or enroll all of your users in this training.
If the Enable automatic enrollment for new users checkbox is selected, new users will be automatically enrolled when they're added to the console if All Users is selected or if they belong to one of the groups that are enrolled in this training campaign.
- When you have a campaign which includes All Users and enable this option, if you add new employees or members of your organization to the console while the training campaign is still active, they will be automatically enrolled in the campaign and will receive any scheduled reminder notifications–without you having to manually add them to the campaign.
- If you have this option off, those users will not be added automatically.
- If you limited the campaign to one or more groups of users and have this option "on", when new users are added to those groups, they will be automatically enrolled in the training.
- You can edit this option after a campaign is created.
This setting should only be used when creating remedial training campaigns. Once users are re-enrolled in a training campaign which has this setting on, they will have to take the training again. For example, if they fail a phishing test an additional time, and are re-added to a Clickers group which has a training campaign assigned to them, they will be enrolled in the campaign a second time.
- For information about setting up remedial training, click here.
If you select a group from the Add Completed Users To drop-down list, then once users complete their assignments, they will be added to the selected group. See potential use cases for this feature here.
If you select a group from the Remove Completed Users From drop-down list, then once users complete their assignments, they will be removed from the selected group. See potential use cases for this feature here.
You have the option to send automatic notifications to users, user's managers, and the admins on your account. There is no limit to the number of training notifications you can send. Click the +Add Notification button, then see below for details about automatic notifications.
- The Notification Type indicates when the notification will be sent out.
- Welcome: The first notification type will send a welcome notification to the selected recipients when the campaign starts (or at the time they are added to an existing campaign). This notification will inform the user they've been enrolled in training and provide a link to log in to take the training. If your campaign is set to start after the business hours indicated in your Account Settings, the welcome email will be sent at the start of business hours the next day.
- Remind After Enrollment: This notification type will send a reminder to the selected recipients at the start of business hours a specified number of days after the user is enrolled in training. You can optionally repeat the notification on a specified schedule until users have completed their training.
- Remind Before Due Date: This notification type will send a notification to the selected recipients at the start of business hours a specific number of days before the user's due date. A value of "0" will cause the notification to be sent on the due date.
- Campaign Completion: This notification will be sent immediately upon campaign completion to the selected recipients. This is a great way to thank users for taking the training or even let them know that your organization will be sending out simulated phishing emails and other forms of social engineering to test out the skills they learned as part of training. Be advised that if you elect to notify a user's manager or your account admins upon completion that they will most likely receive a single email for each user upon completion.
- Past Due: This category of notifications is available when you allow content to be completed after its due (see here for more info about "past due" training). This notification will be sent out to the selected recipients at the start of business hours a specified number of days after the user's due date has passed. You can choose to repeat the notification every specified number of days until the user completes their training assignments
- Select Recipients and Templates
- User: Welcome notifications to the user can provide the user instructions to log in, let them know the importance and necessity of taking the training, or even explain your organization's plan for security awareness if you'd like. Reminder notifications can help encourage a user to complete their training in a timely manner. Past Due notifications let the user know they have missed their deadline and encourage them to complete their training as soon as possible.
- Manager: Notifying a user's manager if their employee doesn't complete assigned training on the required timeline can be helpful if the user needs more encouragement to complete the training. Before using this feature, make sure you have properly-formatted and correct manager emails in your user's information.
- Admin: Notifying account admins of user status on the campaign can help them stay on top of the training campaign's progress. High training campaign completion rates will help you to build a strong human firewall for your organization. Anyone who is an admin on your account will be notified when using this feature.
- You can add additional notifications after a campaign has started by editing the campaign. Although existing notifications can be modified after the campaign has begun, we strongly recommend using our manual training notifications for most situations, as notifications will not work retroactively. See here for more information on training campaign notifications.
- If you're using Password-less Logins for your training, be sure to select the training notifications tagged with "(Password-less)", or create your own using the Password-less logins placeholder.
- We include several default email templates for you to customize or use as-is. You can also create your own notifications in the Training > Notification Templates area, or click the Manage Notification Email Templates link from within the campaign creation screen.
- Any edits you make will be dynamic, and customized templates will be selectable once they are saved and categorized in the Notification Templates area.After you select the desired options on a notification email, click Save. If you'd like to add more notifications click +Add Notification.
Remedial Training Campaigns
Using the Groups feature, you can set up remedial training campaigns that will only enroll users who fail your phishing tests. This is done by setting certain options when creating your phishing campaigns. For information on setting up remedial training, click here. Use
Smart Groups to Automate Remedial Training.
Alternatively, you can use Smart Groups to automate user enrollment in training campaigns based on the number of phishing test failures they've had. To learn more about remedial training with Smart Groups (Platinum/Diamond only), click here.
You can edit features of any campaign in progress by clicking the drop-down to the right of that campaign. You can also close that campaign, which saves user completion data, clone the campaign, which allows you to copy the same settings from the previous campaign into a new campaign creation screen, or delete the campaign entirely, which deletes all data associated with that campaign.
Once a campaign has started, you can monitor its progress and view the status of all users in the campaign for any and all included content from the Campaigns tab. Under the Campaigns tab, you will see three other tabs: Active, Inactive, and All. The Active tab shows you all your training campaigns that are currently active. Campaigns that were closed or were completed, can be found under the Inactive tab. The All tab displays your active, closed, and completed campaigns. Click on a campaign name to view the details of that campaign.
Read the below information, or watch our Monitoring Training Campaigns video, to learn more about this topic.
Campaign Overview Screen
- Campaign Content: Here you can see a list of all content included in that campaign, with a completion percentage for each one underneath.
- Campaign Summary: The circular completion graph shows the percentage of users who have completed all of the content specified for the campaign. This section also lists the status, start date, relative duration, number of users, auto-enroll option, and scheduled notifications.
- Notify Users: This button will allow you to send additional manual notifications to users, user's managers, or account admins. You can change the content of the available templates or create your own by clicking on the Manage Notification Email Templates link.
- User Progress: This button takes you to detailed reports that include each user and their progress for that course. You can also make manual adjustments to a user’s progress, send notifications, and download completion certificates. For more information, see our User Training Progress article.
- Assessment Results: Only displays when a Security Awareness Proficiency Assessment (SAPA) or Security Culture Survey (SCS) has been assigned. See this article for more information.
- Users: The Users tab provides detailed reports that include each user and their progress for the entire training campaign. You can also make manual adjustments to a user’s progress, send notifications, and download completion certificates. For more information, see our User Training Progress article.
The Notification Templates section is where you can edit or create your own training campaign notification emails. We include several default email templates for you to customize or use as-is, but you can also create your own notification templates.
Managing Your Library
Your Library shows you all the modules, games, videos, and other training content you have added from the ModStore. You can always browse the ModStore to see what other content you have access to.
- Status Filter: Use this drop-down to filter by status. Choose from active, retired, archived, or all. You can also choose to show or hide hidden items.
- Content Type: Use this drop-down to filter by the type of content such as video modules, games, posters, and more.
- Search: Search for keywords used in the content title.
- Headers: Sort your library by clicking on the header of choice.
- Item Details (): Click this icon to go to the content details page of the ModStore, where you can preview and download this item. See this article for more information on downloading ModStore content.
- Remove (): If an item has not been included in a training campaign, you can remove it from your library by clicking this icon.
- Usage Summary (): If an item has been used in a training campaign, you can view insights about the content by clicking this icon. The window that appears shows the completion status for those enrolled, reviews from your users, and a list of campaigns that include this content. (Click to view).
- More Options (): Clicking the More Options icon opens a small menu that includes the Hide Item toggle.
The Policies tab is where you can upload, store, and edit your organization's policies. You'll upload policy files in a PDF or using an existing URL. Then you can add them to training campaigns to assign them to users and track user acceptance and/or acknowledgments.
See our How to Create and Manage Policies in your KnowBe4 Console article for more information on the Policy feature.
Managing Policies Area
The option to attach a policy directly to training content is a retired feature. All previously attached policies remain and can still be used as intended.
To view your previously attached policy, go to ModStore > Library and click the Item Details icon. From the details page that opens, click Edit Policy.
The Learner Experience (LX) area is what your users will see when they log in to view their assignments. It will show all currently active training assignments and policies they have under any campaigns your organization is running. As an admin on the account, you can access your assigned training by clicking your email in the top right corner and selecting My Training.
You can see the training assignments or policies assigned to you, the date you were enrolled, your completion status and date, the amount of time left until your due date, as well as the time you've spent on the assignment. Use the Start button to launch the assignment in a new window.
For more details about how to modify the LX, review our Learner Experience Guide.
If you have training assignments or policies available in multiple languages for your users, they will be able to view their assignments in any of the available languages. See: How Do I Change the Language of Training Content?