You can use the Optional Learning feature to offer users extra training, without requiring that they complete the training. Offering optional learning helps your users be more active in their security awareness training by giving them the option to choose what training they would like to take. The training content you choose to make optional will be added to the Library tab of the Learner Experience.
The Learner Library differs from your account’s Library because it only includes the optional learning content assigned to a user. To learn more about your account’s Library, see our ModStore article.
Use the links below to learn how to enable and set up optional learning.
Enabling Optional Learning
When optional learning is enabled, any active training campaigns that do not have an end date will be considered optional. The content in these campaigns will be moved from the Training tab of the Learner Experience to the Library tab. Follow the steps below to enable optional learning.
- Log in to your KnowBe4 console.
- In the upper right-hand corner, click your email address and select Account Settings.
- Navigate to the Learner Experience section.
- Click the Enable Optional Learning checkbox.
- Save this setting by clicking on the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page.
Note: When enabled, all users will see the Library tab, regardless of whether or not optional learning has been assigned to them.
Creating Training Campaigns for Optional Learning
Once optional learning is enabled in your account settings, all training campaigns that do not have an end date will be considered optional. Follow the steps below to create a training campaign specifically for optional learning.
- From your KnowBe4 console, go to the Training tab.
- Click on the Create Training Campaign button in the top-right corner.
- Enter a campaign name and select a start date.
- For the end date, select No End Date.
- From the Content drop-down menu, select the training content you would like added to the Learner Library. We recommend that you select no more than 25 content items.
Note: Be sure that all of the content you want listed as optional has already been added to your account’s library. See our ModStore article for more information.
- In the Enroll Groups section, you can either select All Users or select specific user groups. If you choose specific groups, we recommend selecting relevant content for role-based optional learning.
- Customize the rest of the campaign settings to your liking.
- Once you are satisfied with your settings, click Create Campaign at the bottom of the page.
Once you have created a training campaign for optional learning, enrolled users will find the selected content in the Library tab of their LX. Users have the option to download a completion certificate for each optional learning module that they complete.
You can track the progress and completion of this optional training as outlined in our Creating and Managing Training Campaigns article.