The Optional Learning feature allows you to offer your users extra training from the ModStore, without requiring that they complete it. After the creation of an optional training campaign, the selected training content is added to the Library tab of the Learner Experience.
The Learner Library differs from your account’s Library because it only includes the optional learning content assigned to a user. To learn more about your account’s Library, see our ModStore article.
Use the links below to learn more.
Enabling Optional Learning
You can enable Optional Learning in your account settings. Once this setting is enabled, any active training campaign that does not have an end date will be considered optional. The training content in these campaigns will be moved to the Learner Library. Follow the steps below to enable this setting.
- Log in to your KnowBe4 console.
- In the upper right-hand corner, click your email address and select Account Settings.
- Navigate to the Learner Experience section.
- Click the Enable Optional Learning checkbox.
- Save this setting by clicking on the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page.
Note: When enabled, all users will see the Library tab, regardless of whether or not optional learning has been assigned to them.
Creating Training Campaigns for Optional Learning
When optional learning is enabled in your account settings, all active training campaigns that do not have an end date will be considered optional. Also, each new training campaign created without an end date will automatically be listed as optional. Follow the steps below to create a training campaign specifically for optional learning.
- From your KnowBe4 console, go to the Training tab, and click on the Create Training Campaign button in the top right corner.
- Enter a campaign name and select a start date.
- For the end date, select No End Date.
- From the Content drop-down menu, select the training content you would like added to the Learner Library. We recommend selecting no more than 25 content items.
- Be sure that all of the content you want listed as optional has already been added to your account’s library from the ModStore. See our ModStore article for more information.
- For the enroll groups option, select All Users to make this available to all of your users.
- Alternatively, you can select specific user groups and content that relates to those groups. This is especially useful for offering optional role-based learning.
- Customize the rest of the campaign settings to your liking.
- Review our Training Campaigns article for more information about the other available options.
- Once you are satisfied with your settings, click Create Campaign at the bottom of the page.
Once you have created a training campaign for optional learning, users can find the selected content in the Library tab of their LX. Once completed, users have the option of downloading a completion certificate for each optional learning module.
You can track the progress and completion of this optional training as outlined in this article.