Be aware that if you are using G Suite Legacy, whitelisting capabilities are limited and you may not be able to properly whitelist KnowBe4. G Suite Legacy was a free G Suite version that was offered by Google prior to December 2012. For more information on G Suite Legacy, please see Google's article here.
How to Whitelist by Email Header in Google Suite
The below instructions will show you how to whitelist KnowBe4's simulated phishing emails and training notifications by email header in your GSuite environment.
This setting is only recommended if you have a cloud-based spam filter in front of GSuite. If you are using GSuite for your mail without an additional spam filter, you can instead whitelist by IP address using this tutorial. Remember, you will also need to whitelist KnowBe4's IP addresses or hostnames in your cloud-based spam filter to make sure emails are delivered successfully.
We recommend setting up a test phishing campaign to yourself or a small group after you follow the below steps to ensure your whitelisting was successful. The setting may take up to an hour to propagate to all users so wait at least an hour before testing.
- Log on to https://admin.google.com and click Apps.
- Click G Suite then Gmail.
- Click Advanced Settings
- Navigate to the Compliance section of the General Settings tab.
- Hover over the Content Compliance field and click Edit.
- Under the Email messages to affect field check Inbound and Internal - receiving.
- Click ADD under the Add expressions that describe the content you want to search for in each message.
- From the first drop-down menu, select if ANY of the following match the message.
- From the second drop-down menu, select Advanced content match.
- In the Location field, select Full headers.
- In the Match type field, select Contains text.
- In the Content field, enter the header text. The default KnowBe4 header is X-PHISHTEST.
It is recommended that you change the default header to a custom header or header token for enhanced security. You can change the header settings for your account from the Account Settings page. For more information, see our How to Edit Your Account Settings article.
- Click SAVE
- In the If the above expressions match, do the following field, select Bypass spam filter for this Message under Spam.
Your Final Content Compliance Setting Screen
GSuite customers should also disable the return-path header in their KnowBe4 Account Settings prior to sending out phishing tests. Click here to see how to do that.
Still need assistance? Submit a support ticket and we can help.