Creating a Custom Email Template
In PhishER, you have the option to create your own email template and have it sent when a specific action is manually run or automatically triggered. There are three areas where you can create an email template:
- Email Templates
Access the Email Templates screen by navigating to PhishER > Settings > Email Templates. Here, you can add an email template by clicking on the New Email Template button or the Click here to add a New Email Template link. This will open the Email Template Editor.
- Action Details
Access the Action Details screen by navigating to PhishER > Actions > New Action. Under step three (Choose how you would like to report this action), select the Send Email option. This will display the Email Template Editor.
- Run Drop-down Menu
Access the Run drop-down menu by navigating to PhishER > Inbox. When a message is selected, the Run drop-down will appear in the top-left. From this drop-down, you can choose the Send Custom Email option. This will display the Email Template Editor.
Note:If you decide to create an email template from the Action Details screen or Run drop-down menu, the email template editor will include a Custom Email Template drop-down and a Save As Email Template option (click to view). This allows you to select an existing email template or save the template you're currently creating.
Using the Email Template Editor
The Email Template Editor is where you can customize an email template before including it in one of your PhishER actions. Below is a description of each field you will find in the editor.
- Name You can name your email template to better identify it if you'd like. Your end-user will not see this field when they receive the email.
- Email Recipient Options
- Include Original Reporter This option will send an email to the email address of the user who reported the message.
- Specify Recipients This is where you can add the email address(es) of those you would like to receive the email template.
- Email Server Fields
- From The email address that will display in the email header.
- From Name The name or email address that will display in the email header.
- Reply To Here you can assign an email address that you would like the recipient to reply to when they click “Reply” on the email.
- Reply To Name Here you can add a name that will display when a recipient clicks “Reply” on the email.
- Subject This is the email’s subject line as the recipient will see it in their inbox.
- Image This button can be clicked if you would like to add an image to your email template. You MUST use externally-hosted images, meaning you must insert a publicly-available URL into the URL field. The Alt Text field is optional.
- Link This button can be clicked if you would like to add a link to your email template. To properly add a link, you will need to do the following:
- Type out the text you wish to convert into a link.
- Highlight the plain text you want to “link” and click the link button. This will open the Enter link dialog box.
- Paste the link URL in the Enter link dialog box and click the Save button.
- Placeholder The “Placeholder” options will automatically populate certain fields with reporter or message information. View the Email Template Placeholders table for more information.
- Source This button can be clicked to switch to a source code view of the email template. If you're familiar with HTML, you can use it to craft email templates by clicking this button.
- Body ln the body of your email template, add any text that you'd like. There are simple text formatting options you can use to customize the appearance of your template.
- Include Options
- Include original email at the bottom of body This option includes the original reported message in the body of the email template. Note: Be cautious when including any original reported message, as it may be malicious.
- Attach original email This option includes the original reported message in the email as an attachment. Note: Be cautious when attaching any original reported message, as it may be malicious.
- Include PhishER links and tag information This option will include the PhishER Message link, Action link, and all message Tags in the email.
Once your email template is customized, click the Save button. Your template will then be stored under the Email Templates section of PhishER and will become an option in the Custom Email Template drop-down menu when creating an action or selecting the Send Custom Email option from the run drop-down menu.
To delete a custom email template, you can click on the template from the Email Templates section and then click on the Delete Email Template button in the top-right.
You can use various placeholders to act as dynamic text entry for your email templates. This works similar to a mail merge and will automatically populate the email content with the placeholder field you specify.
Email Template Placeholders
|Placeholder||Placeholder Drop-down Selection||What it Populates|
|[[subject]]||Email Subject||The text found in the Subject line of the original message.|
|[[reporter_email]]||Reporter Email||The email address of the user who reported the message.|
|[[reporter_name]]||Reporter Full Name||The first and last name of the user who reported the message.|
|[[reporter_first_name]]||Reporter First Name||The first name of the user who reported the message.|
|[[reporter_last_name]]||Reporter Last Name||The last name of the user who reported the message.|
|[[sender_email]]||Sender Email||The email address associated with the original source of the message.|
|[[sender_name]]||Sender Full Name||The first and last name of the sender associated with the original source of the message.|
|[[sender_first_name]]||Sender First Name||The first name of the sender associated with the original source of the message.|
|[[sender_last_name]]||Sender Last Name||The last name of the sender associated with the original source of the message.|
|[[reported_time]]||Reported At||The date and time of when the message was reported by a user.|
|[[sent_time]]||Sent At||The date and time of when the original message was sent to the reporter.|
|[[attachment_names]]||Attachment Names||The name of the attachment(s) sent with the original message.|