The Direct Message Injection (DMI) feature creates a secure link between your KnowBe4 console and your Microsoft 365 Account, allowing us to place simulated phishing emails directly in your users’ inboxes. For more information about DMI and how it is enabled, see our DMI Configuration Guide.
DMI Permissions Requirements and Explanation
The permission request required by our DMI feature is broadly addressed in our DMI Configuration Guide, but the below provides in-depth information. The requested permissions are required by Microsoft 365.
Below is a list of each permission and more details regarding why they are being requested.
Access mailboxes as the signed-in user via Exchange Web Services
Use Exchange Web Services with full access to all mailboxes
Manage Exchange As Application
Sign in and read user profile
How Do I Disable DMI?
DMI can be disabled in your KnowBe4 console by following the steps listed in the DMI Configuration Guide.
If you no longer have access to your KnowBe4 account and would like to disconnect DMI from your Microsoft 365 account, follow these steps:
- From your Microsoft Azure portal, go to Azure Active Directory.
- From the menu on the left, select Enterprise Applications.
- In the list that displays, click on KnowBe4 Direct Message Injection.
- An overview page will open. From the menu on the left, select Properties.
- Click Delete at the top of the page.
Why Isn’t My External Sender Banner Showing on Phishing Emails Sent via DMI?
Since DMI connects directly to your Microsoft 365 account, any filters in place for external emails will not apply to an email delivered using DMI. Follow the steps below to use our Placeholders feature and add banners back to our phishing emails.
- Log in to your KnowBe4 account.
- Click your email in the top-right corner and select Account Settings.
- Navigate to the Branding section.
- Click + Placeholders.
- Select the Email Banner placeholder.
- Enter your banner information into the field provided. You can enter any text in the field, including source code from an already existing email banner.
- Select which phishing emails you want the banner to appear on. Select Apply to All Phishing DMI Emails if you only want the external sender banner to appear on emails affected by DMI.
- Click Save Placeholders.