How Do I Edit or Create Training Notifications?
KnowBe4 provides several built-in training notifications you can use when you enroll your users in training. If you’d like, you can customize these built-in notifications, modify our blank templates, or create your own. To learn how to do this, review the steps below or check out our Customizing Training Notifications video.
To create or edit a training notification template, navigate to Training > Notification Templates. Under System Templates, you can click on one of our built-in training notification templates to open it in our WYSIWYG ("what you see is what you get") editor and make changes. Saving changes to a built-in system template will save a copy of your edit to the Drafts folder under My Templates.
To use the templates you create as part of a training campaign, you will have to create one or more categories under My Templates and move your custom templates into a category.
You can create your own training notification emails by clicking the + New Training Notification Template button.
WYSIWYG Training Notification Template Editor Interface
- Template Name (optional) - You can name your template to better identify it if you'd like. Your end user will not see this field when they receive the training notification email.
- Sender's Email Address - This is the address the email will appear to be coming from. You can use any email address you’d like.
- Sender's Name (optional) - This field will let you assign a Sender’s Name which will appear on the training notification email next to the Sender’s Email Address when the user receives the email.
- Subject - This is the email’s subject line as the recipient will see it in their inbox. This will also be the title of the template if you haven't added a Training Notification Template Name. Here are a few examples:
- Source - This button can be clicked to switch to a Source code view in the template. If you're familiar with HTML, you can use it to create custom training notifications by clicking this button.
- Image - This button can be clicked if you'd like to add an image to your training notification template. You MUST use externally-hosted images, meaning you must insert a publicly-available URL into the URL field after clicking the button. You can also resize your image using the height and width fields. On resizing images: some versions of Outlook will require adding additional tags to the source code of the image, in order for it to display properly in the email. See this article for more information.
- Placeholder - The “Placeholder” options will automatically populate certain fields with your user, account, or training information. Training Campaign Notification placeholders can ONLY be used in the body of a template. See our How to Use Placeholders article for more information.
- Body - ln the body of your training notification template, add any text that you'd like. There are simple text formatting options you can use to customize the appearance of your template. You can easily add tables, lines, and more by using the buttons available in the WYSIWYG.
- The content of a training notification varies based on what information you want to give your users. At a minimum, we recommend including the training Login link or an explanation of how to log in, as well as the Due Date.
- If you want users to be more receptive to your email, we suggest providing a brief explanation of the training and why the user is being enrolled. Feel free to add a personal touch so your users feel more comfortable about receiving the email.
How to Use the Blank Templates Category
The Blank Templates category includes blank versions of our training notification templates that have a custom design or styling. All of our styled templates are tagged with the words (Banner) or (Border) in the template name. You can customize the design of these templates by making edits in the source code. If you're unfamiliar with HTML, each blank template includes instructional HTML comments in the source code to help guide you through the customization process. Listed below are some of the customizations you can make using the blank templates:
- Border (click to view): You can customize the color of the template border by adding your own RGB or hex color code.
- Banner (click to view): You can customize the background color of the banner by adding your own RGB or hex color code. Also, you can insert custom text for the banner.
- Logo: You can replace the KnowBe4 logo with your own company logo.
If you decide to use a blank template that has a (Logo) tag in the template name, be aware that this template will automatically populate your company logo using the [[company_logo_url]] placeholder. For this placeholder to work properly, you will need to add your company logo URL to your Account Settings. For more information about what placeholders you can use in training notifications, visit here.