The KB4Diag tool is an executable file used by KnowBe4's support team to automatically gather issue-specific files including event and security logs and other applicable files for troubleshooting purposes. It is common for the support team to request you use this tool for issues regarding Active Directory Integration (ADI), Phish Alert Button (PAB), Weak Password Test, and RanSim.
Once you download and run the diagnostic tool, relevant files will be gathered, packaged in a zip file, and automatically sent to your support ticket, where your support tech will be able to download and view the files.
KB4Diag connects to https://knowbe4.zendesk.com/api/v2/ to validate your Ticket ID and Email Address. If you're using an outbound web filter, please ensure HTTPS connections (port 443) are allowed to that domain.
How to Install and Run KB4Diag
- Download and save the executable file from the link provided by the support tech within your ticket. Make sure you are downloading the file onto the machine where the affected program is installed.
- Navigate to the file and run it. Click Yes when prompted.
- Check the box to agree to the End User License Agreement and then, click Continue.
- Once the tool runs, you'll need to provide the following details:
A: Ticket number for your ticket.
B: Email address you are using on the ticket.
The email address entered must match what you used when opening up the ticket for the tool to run successfully.
C: Whether you'd like to automatically send the resulting .zip file to your Support tech (default) or save them to disk and screen what files it includes prior to attaching it to the ticket.
With option 2, you must manually attach the zip file or selected files you'd like to send to the ticket.
D: Optionally, a brief description to be sent with the zip attachment.
E: Click Run to scan for the relevant files based on the program you're having an issue with.
- The scan can take up to 10 minutes or longer depending on the number of files that need to be gathered.
- If you elected to send the data automatically, the support tech will receive a notification once you complete the scan and will review the files provided.
If you elected not to send the information automatically, you will have to find and review the files, and then reply back to your support ticket with the files you'd like to send. You can find the files under ProgramData\KnowBe4\[[Affected Product]]\Support\Temp
There are two errors that you may encounter when using KB4Diag and there are simple fixes for each.
ERROR 1: Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.
This error message is likely caused by you attempting to run the file directly from Internet Explorer. Instead, try saving the file to your Downloads folder and then run the file from within its saved location. If you're still experiencing issues with this method, please let our support team know.
ERROR 2: Email address not associated with this ticket. Please try again.
This error message is likely caused by your email address being incorrect. Make sure you are using the standard email format and the same email that you used to open the support ticket. If you're still experiencing issues, please let our support team know.
What Files Are Gathered?
- Application logs for the affected program
- Config files for the affected program
- Registry keys for the affected program
- Last 5 days of Application Event logs
- Last 5 days of System Event logs
- Last 3 days of Security Event logs
- MSInfo ipconfig.txt
- Files in InstallDir for the affected program
- List of currently running processes
- Data entered into Diagnostics UI
I Don't Want to Use This Tool. What Should I Do?
If you would prefer not to use this program to gather files, you can ask our support team for which files are needed and do it manually. This tool just makes it faster and more secure for you and the Support tech to transmit information.