Using KB4Diag to Gather Files for Troubleshooting
The KB4Diag tool is an executable file that KnowBe4's support team uses to automatically gather issue-specific files, including event and security logs and other files for troubleshooting. The support team requests that users run this tool when they encounter issues with Active Directory Integration (ADI), Phish Alert Button (PAB), Weak Password Test, and RanSim.
After you download and run KB4Diag, the tool will gather all relevant files and package the files into a zip file. Then, you can send these files to the support technician from your ticket so that the support technician can view the files.
Installing and Running KB4Diag
Installing and Running KB4Diag
After a support technician requests that you run the KB4Diag tool, please follow the instructions below.
- Download the executable file from the link that the support technician included in your ticket.
Note: You must download the file onto the machine where the affected program is installed.
- Navigate to the KB4Diag file in the Downloads folder of your File Explorer.
- Double-click the file to run it.
- Click Run in the pop-up window.
- Check the box to agree to the End User License Agreement, and click Continue.
- After the tool runs, please follow the instructions below.
- Ticket ID: Enter the ticket number from your support ticket.
- Ticket Email Address: Enter your preferred email address. This email address does not need to match the email address that you used to submit the support request.
- Ticket Product Type: Select your product from the drop-down menu. The image below shows the four options you will have.
- Brief Description of Issue: Add details about the issue you are encountering with the product.
- Run: Click this button to run KB4Diag.
- Wait for the scan to complete. The scan can take up to 10 minutes or longer depending on the number of files that the tool gathers.
- Locate any files that you want to include in your support ticket by following the steps below.
- Open your File Explorer.
- Navigate to ProgramData\KnowBe4\[[Affected Product]]\Support.
- Review the files in the folder above.
- Upload any necessary files to your support request.
- If you are responding to your support request via email, attach any files to the email.
Files That KB4Diag Gathers
When you run KB4Diag, the tool gathers the files below:
- Application logs for the affected program
- Configuration files for the affected program
- Registry keys for the affected program
- Last five days of Application Event logs
- Last five days of System Event logs
- Last three days of Security Event logs
- MSInfo ipconfig.txt
- Files in InstallDir for the affected program
- List of all currently running processes
- Data entered into Diagnostics UI
When you run KB4Diag, you may encounter the error below:
If you encounter this error, please follow the steps below:
- Save the KB4Diag file to your Downloads folder.
- Run the file from its saved location.
If the steps above do not resolve the error, or if you encounter a different error, please contact the KnowBe4 Support Team.