Every month, we update our Security Hints and Tips newsletter category with hints and tips about common cybersecurity topics, such as the importance of using a VPN and protecting passwords. These newsletters can help keep your users informed about security threats and help reinforce the topics they learn about in their security training.
You have two options for sending the newsletter to your users. You can use our User Messaging feature to create a recurring message, or you can create a phishing campaign from the Phishing tab.
Click the links below to learn how to set up a Security Hints and Tips message or phishing campaign.
Set Up a Security Hints and Tips Message
Users will be able to view their Security Hints and Tips on the Messages tab of the Learner Experience (LX). You can send these messages weekly, biweekly, or monthly, and you also have the option to send a copy of the message to each user via email. For general information about messages, see our User Messaging Guide.
If you use our User Messaging feature to send the Security Hints and Tips newsletter to your users, the newsletter template will be chosen using Random (Same random email to all users) logic. This logic chooses templates at random from your selected categories and ensures that users don't receive the same template multiple times. For more information about Random (Same random email to all users) logic, see the Random section of our Automated Template Selection article.
To create a Security Hints and Tips message, follow the steps below:https://helpimg.s3.amazonaws.com/learner_experience/User+Messaging/CreateH%26TMessage.png
- From your KnowBe4 console, navigate to Users > Messages.
- Click the Create New Message button at the top-right corner of the page.
- Select Security Hints and Tips from the drop-down menu.
- On the New Security Hints and Tips Message page, customize your settings. For more information about each setting, see the screenshot and list below:
- Topics: Select these check boxes to send your users Security Hints and Tips newsletters based on PCI and HIPAA compliance.
- Frequency: Choose how often Security Hints and Tips messages should be sent to your users. We suggest selecting either Biweekly or Monthly.
- Send to: To send Security Hints and Tips to your entire organization, select All Users. To only send Security Hints and Tips to part of your organization, select Specific Groups and choose one or more groups from the drop-down menu.
- Use Custom Sender Information: Enable this option to customize the sender's name and email address. The email address must match one of the allowed domains on your account.
- Send on: Select the day you want to send your Security Hints and Tips message.
- Make this a branded message: Select this check box to include your organization’s logo, name, and domain in the Security Hints and Tips message. This option is only available if you have a company logo URL configured in your account settings. For more information, see our How to Add Your Company Logo, Logo URL, and Brand Color to Your Console article.
Also send this message as an email: Select this check box to send a copy of the Security Hints and Tips message to each user by email. This message will still be listed on the Messages tab of the LX.
Note: Emails sent using the User Messaging feature are not tracked and will not be included in any message-related data.
- Review your selections, then click Create Message.
Set Up a Security Hints and Tips Phishing Campaign
You also have the option to send the Security Hints and Tips newsletter by creating a phishing campaign. However, if you send the Security Hints and Tips newsletter with a phishing campaign, the newsletter will only be delivered by email and will not appear in the Learner Experience (LX). You also have the option to send Security Hints and Tips that are specific to PCI and HIPAA regulations. For general information about phishing campaigns, see our Creating and Managing Phishing Campaigns article.
Follow the steps below to set up a Security Hints and Tips phishing campaign:
- From your KnowBe4 console, navigate to the Phishing tab.
- Click the Create Phishing Campaign button at the top-right corner of the page.
- Use the recommended settings listed below to fill out the fields on the New Phishing Campaign page.
- Send to: We recommend that you select All Users to keep all your users informed about common security hints and tips. However, you also have the option to select Specific Groups and select any group or groups that you would like.
- Frequency: Select Bi-Weekly or Monthly.
- Sending Period: Select Send all emails when the campaign starts. Enabling this setting will ensure that all selected users receive their Security Hints and Tips newsletter at the same time.
Template Categories: From the first drop-down menu, select either Security Hints&Tips (Not PST). Or, if you would like to add your organization's banner at the top of the newsletter, select Security Hints&Tips (Branded) (Not PST). For more information about branded content, see our How Do I Use the Branded Landing Pages, Training Notifications, and Email Templates? article.
If you would like to send your users Security Hints and Tips newsletters based on PCI and HIPAA compliance, you can select PCI Security Hints & Tips (Not PST) or HIPAA Security Hints & Tips (Not PST).Note: We do not recommend selecting only these categories because they are not updated as frequently as the general Security Hints and Tips categories.
From the second Template Categories drop-down menu, select Random. This option will send the same random email to all your users.
- Hide from Reports: Select this check box to hide this Security Hints and Tips campaign from your phishing reports. This option helps ensure that your phishing reports only include data from phishing security tests. For more information about hiding campaigns from phishing reports, see our How to Hide a Phishing Campaign from Reports article.
- Click Create Campaign.
Once you set up your campaign, the Security Hints & Tips newsletter will be sent to your users at the frequency that you set in the campaign settings.